By Katie Chatham
As the seasons shift and the world around us begins to transition for the colder weather, leaves fall, the air gets crisper, and most exciting of all, the colors change. We bring out our warmer clothing, and fall hues begin to highlight our wardrobes … and our makeup palettes.
Leah Gosik, owner of Bella By Leah Cosmetics, recently shared some of the season’s best trends for lips, cheeks, and eyes, as well as tips for caring for the skin, year-round.
What’s ‘In’ for Fall
- The Dewy Look. “Matte skin is phasing out, and dewy skin is in,” Leah explained, noting the importance of exfoliating to achieve a “dewy, hydrated look.” She said one of the best methods of exfoliating is dermaplaning, a non-invasive, anti-aging skin treatment designed to make skin feel smoother and appear more youthful. With a surgical blade, the skin is carefully stroked in even motions to remove the outer layer of facial skin, thus exfoliating dead skin cells and minor surface imperfections, to reveal fresh, healthy skin. This safe and effective treatment is especially beneficial to treat dry, rough skin, acne scars, uneven skin tone, large pores, and fine lines. As an added benefit, dermaplaning also removes peach fuzz and unwanted facial hair.
- Softer Brows. “This season,” Leah said, “the trend is to use a small amount of powder to lightly fill in the brow, for a softer look.” The bold brows and contoured looks that have been a sensation anywhere you can find an online tutorial are beginning to make their way out of style.
- Bold Lashes. It seems that bold lashes will always be a trend. Leah explained, “A simple trick for getting this look is to first swipe the top of the lashes downward, and then to swipe up. You can also put some eyeliner in between your lashes using a soft eye pencil.”
- Glossy Lips. “Matte is out, and glossy is in,” Leah shared, adding that it has been some time since we have seen this look, and it is fun to see its reappearance. Now is the time to add some shine back into your lip routine. The matte colors we have grown to love come with a glossy finish you can purchase to finish off your look.
- Soft Cheek Color. Another way to achieve the fresh, dewy look that will be debuting this season is to place blush on the cheekbone and temple. “With contouring, we fell away from this trend,” Leah said, “but this season, it has made a reappearance.”
- Neutral, Natural Colors. Go for natural colors and brown, smoky eyes this fall. Terracotta and dusty rose are trending for cheeks. For lips, colors like dusty rose, red, burgundy, and deep plum are what you’ll see. “Crème blushes and glossy lips are in this Fall,” Leah said, noting that crème blushes are especially great on maturing skin.
Caring for Your (Mature) Skin
“It is so important to know what products to use and how to care for maturing skin,” Leah shares. To highlight some of the ways to do this, she has also put together these tips:
- Using blush higher on the cheekbone will give the appearance of “lifting” the face, making you look younger.
- “Our eyes are one of the things that can really age us.” Leah explained. Applying concealer below the eyes can help to brighten them and may even take a couple of years off.
- Exfoliating is one of the best ways to get a fresh-looking face. Microdermabrasion, in which a product containing exfoliating crystals or small, gentle abrasive ingredients, is used to remove dead skin cells, is a great way to exfoliate the skin and make it look and feel softer and younger. Leah offers products that allow you to use this technique at home.
- Use the right ingredients. Products with the following ingredients will help you to care for your skin as it ages. Leah has developed an eye for ingredients that work most effectively for maturing skin. She creates many of the products she sells in her store, and many of them contain:
- Vitamin C. “Using a product with Vitamin C can help neutralize damaged skin,” Leah shared. Vitamin C will lighten dark spots, boost collagen production, and minimize wrinkles and scars.
- Hyaluronic Acid. This ingredient tightens and plumps the skin, making it look smooth and reduce the signs of age.
- Resveratrol Antioxidants. “This ingredient in a product will help minimize wrinkles and hyperpigmentation,” Leah shared.
Over the years, Leah has developed a passion for sharing her expertise and knowledge of the products she stands behind and the ones she creates herself.
For more information on the Bellapierre line Leah offers at Bella by Leah, or for information on her line, Bella by Leah, stop by the store at 122 N. Cortez St., Ste. 100, visit the website at www.bellabyleah.com, or find her on social media at @bellabyleah.